Friday 7 March 2014

Opportunity Knocks - A New Project.

As many of you know, I've often referred to my medical saga and "My life as a guinea pig", and have been known to quip about having donated all the parts I'd intended to, to science..  

Even after all these years, I still find myself grateful that I get to wake up each morning knowing that the mere fact that I'm living is a gift..

This fall, I will have the chance to celebrate 20 years since my diagnosis with ovarian cancer.  It was the first, but not the last time a doctor would tell me that I was lucky to be alive and almost died.  Sure, there have been other medical trials and tribulations since - sometimes seemingly more than my share -  but I am here.  That in itself is worth a happy shout out!  

I am a firm believer in the "Pay It Forward" movement.  With so much to be grateful for, I've always thought that it couldn't hurt to throw a little good karma out into the universe now and then.  So many out there just seem to busy to take the time,  or think that giving back means digging into your wallet, or many hours of volunteer time, and though it certainly can include those things, it is so much more than that.  

In working with EON, I've been fortunate to have the opportunity to promote the great work going on in the community, and shed a little light -- often seeking out that little light -- to share the message with our readers.  I consider it my own personal "give back" project. 

Honestly, if you have the opportunity to make a difference, and you don't use it, that opportunity is wasted.  I try not to waste much. 

There are as many opportunities to help out, and to give back to the community as there are different people in that community.  It could be as simple as a short periodic phone call, or a small time commitment,  perhaps a particular festival event,  or it could be as simple as saving requested items for a community project.  

In the weeks that come, I will be featuring a variety of area opportunities to help out, give back and support the communities we live in.  If you have an opportunity that you would like to share, I encourage you to share it with me at tammy@easternontarionetwork.com.  

Look for the blog each week, in conjunction with "Follow Me Friday" on EON's Facebook page, and Twitter.  

Visit our main page at www.easternontarionetwork.com 








No comments: