Tuesday 9 August 2016

Don't Blink! Celebrating 20 Years!

August 9th, 2016  -  It hardly seems as though 20 years have passed, but they have. 

As I sit here looking at my favourite photo of you, my mind scrolls through this journey we've taken together. 

It is almost expected when you reach a major milestone that you pick out some of the best highlights of the trip to share,  I have so many of those I cannot possibly be expected to pick just a few.  I find myself strolling through the darker moments this morning - so many times when it was your smile, your hug, and your strength that walked me through the worst of it when I could not move my own feet.  In so many times before, and since,  I am so very grateful for the gift of you.

I marvel at how you went from being someone on the other end of my telephone line, to the most important person in my universe. 

It still makes me laugh when I remember how I'd planned to come out for a short while, lend a hand then return home.  It bothered me to hear of the trials you were enduring when I could help to make things better.   You've always said that I didn't come here for you, but for your 3 little bears but we both know that you were always a package deal.  One could never mean nearly as much without the other. 

20 years ago today marked the first time we met in person after many hours clocked in talking, typing and letters.  I think some part of us already felt something, but there was a matter of some 3500 miles and neither of us saw what we might want as an integral part of the equation.  I worried about my family, and your worried about yours.  Who would have thought that it would be the birthday requests of the littles that would finally seal the deal?  I guess life's just like that sometimes. 

Sometimes peaceful, often bumpy and rarely boring.  Today I am grateful for unanswered prayers and plans gone astray.   I cannot imagine my life without you and the 3 little bears in it.  

As we embark on our 21st year, our grandson is a wee bit younger than our baby bear was when it all began.  Our granddaughter, a little older than our brother bear - we have come full circle. 

Today I woke up to your smile, a kiss on the cheek and the sound of our grandson singing in the next room.   We're 20 years in to our adventure, and the best is yet to come. 

I love you sweetheart! Today, tomorrow and for always.  XOXO


No comments: