Saturday 19 May 2012

Reflections & Celebrations


It's May 19th, 2012 and though for most people that date wouldn't mean a darned thing, in our world it's a very special day. 


Today's the day that our baby bear turns 18!  


(The Daddy unit precludes me from shouting this from the rooftops until 2:36 PM - which is the time stamp on her arrival into the world.)  I suppose you could argue that this timestamp was foreshadowing the future, since if given her way she'll be in bed today until at least then. LOL  


Has it really been 15 years since our little blond haired beauty with ponytails atop her head was running around the house with her "Dumpa Damn" and her buddy Buzz Lightyear?  No, it just cannot be..   


It confounds me how the same time period can seem like decades at times, and in others as though just a few fleeting moments danced by.  


I was reminded this week of a promise we'd made several years ago - we were living in the crazy teenager zone - and hubby and I were joking with his parents that if we survived to see our baby turn 18 that there would be much celebration and merriment.  We joked about buying ginger-ale for Papa, and Champagne or perhaps Baileys for the rest of us.  


Funny though, now that we're here, it hardly seems appropriate - or necessary. 


I've been going through our collection of photos over the last several weeks in preparation for an all day Crop.  They say that a picture is worth a thousand words..  I could surely facilitate "War and Peace" in our albums.  The era of digital photography has only made that moreso and where we may have taken 2 pics trying to get a shot we might take 5 or more.  The results are often goofy, and serve to give a great deal of amusement in going back to look at them.  We've sure had some fun.  


One photo is standing out in memory for me today - a picture of a very young Caelly, sitting on the floor in the middle of the apartment.  One her head she's got my big hair clip, and on her feet, she's put on her Dad's running shoes.  I kept telling her that Daddy's shoes are too big, but she insists that her feet fit.  I wish now I'd gotten pictures of her actually trying to walk around in them.   Just one of many precious moments I have been blessed to share in. 


Some people would say that since I didn't give birth to them, that they're not mine - we're not related ~ I have some choice words for them ~ but the long and short of it is that family isn't just the people you were born to, it is the people that you meet and surround yourself with along the way that make this ride worth while.  Garth had it right when he sang about Unanswered Prayers..  I will forever be grateful for the luck and technology that led me here to this place.  In true "me" fashion, not much went the way I thought it would. In fact, it was when I stopped looking that my dreams found me.  Not in my wildest dreams could I have ever planned this one..  


Nothing in life is guaranteed, and though it hasn't all been sunshine and roses ~ being a "Mom" and sharing in the raising of the 3 little bears has been one of the greatest highlights of my life. 


Caelly ~ I hope that today is the start of a whole year of sunshine smiles and genuine happiness.  "Teemy" loves you baby. XO 

No comments: