Monday 1 June 2020

Brain droppings of another new normal.


We had so many plans for this Summer, with and without the kids.  I love having (some of) the kids here, but it comes with a great cost.  They miss their parents, and their parents miss them.  Calls and video chats are not the same as being there.  So many events and milestones happening in seclusion -- it's so unfair all around.  
Having said that, the kids are too important to take such a huge risk.  Hearing that it doesn't seem to affect children as much as adults is great news; but that doesn't mean that they cannot carry it to someone else. That thought is scary as hell..  we've always called the littles our 'little germ spreaders.'
I don't wanna imagine the thought of them inadvertently gifting it to their Nana (great-grandma) when they finally get to give her hugs after all this time.  We don't need it either -- we are also considered high risk.  If ever there was a time to hunker down and retreat in the cave this is it.

When this first started, I'm not gonna lie.. I'd chuckled because staying at home.. working from home.. being.. at home is my every day.

I'm so tired of hearing about the "new normal" and how we're all in the same boat.  Some of us are paddling way harder than others, and in some cases, the motor is missing a spark plug.  

Some are having their stress and anxiety issues taxed beyond their limits.  Some are experiencing levels of anxiety that they're not used to.  We've lost friends and loved ones that we couldn't see.  Family that usually depends on us still have expectations but now we're mandated not to do it.  I cannot help but think that we're in for a HUGE mental health epidemic when this pandemic moves on.  

I don't want to be the downer here, but I don't see things getting back to any kind of "normal" any time soon.  

Sitting in the car with the kids the other day, while my hubby got groceries I was people watching.  So many people not distancing, not masking, not seeming to care.  One guy ran up past everyone at close range to get to the front of the line-up.  He must have gone almost shoulder to shoulder with over a dozen people on his way to the line-up.  Are the 2 minutes you saved worth the risk?  I don't think so..

Some would argue that we shouldn't take the kids out, we shouldn't be out and about.  We have to get groceries, we have medical appointments.  All of us going doesn't cost any more gas, but it's nice to get out of the house for a little while. 

We even got a mask for our grandson that has the green material on the inside.. polypropeline I think she called it.  He thinks it's pretty cool to have a mask. We just thought it would be good for him to have it in case he does need one.  I can't put a mask on myself and not put one on the child in my care. That seems ridiculous. We can't really put a mask on the baby, but having her in her carrier (most often) or carseat with a receiving blanket over top as needed seems to do the trick. 

I don't know where this "new normal" train is heading, but I do know we'll all be a little worse for wear when we get there.  

Stay safe friends, stay home!  <3  




No comments: