Monday 4 March 2024

Introducing Grandma's Place



It's hard to believe that as of this year, I have lived in Ontario for 27 years.  In some ways it feels like it cannot possibly be that long -- and in others, a little like I've always been here.  It only takes looking at the faces of our (not so) little (anymore) people, and the littles that they gave us to truly see how long it has been and how much has changed. 

I've been doing a lot of pondering and plotting lately.  The last year was a hard one with far too many losses, and not nearly enough wins.  It really strikes home how short life is, and makes you look at where you are, and where you want to be.  For me, it's been a constant challenge of wanting things to be better.  It has been a lot about looking at what gets my time and attention, and what needs it - what brings joy, and what sucks joy out of life.  

It's no secret, that one area that brings me joy, is our grandchildren.  For many years, I never thought I'd get to be one -- and now I cannot imagine my life without them.  Plotting with them and for them has taken me back to the "olden" days and I've been looking for craft ideas, and plotting for outtings, online "shopping" for colouring photos homework helps -  it all sort of came with the pandemic territory.  

For many years, I was a home daycare provider, and was an active volunteer with Sparks and Beavers.  At that time I'd created an e-mail list for the relevent age group for leaders, parents, and childcare professionals to network and share program themes, craft ideas, share struggles and build on each other's successes.  Over time, I added 0-4, and 8-10 to the line-up and a general "wecare4kidz" group that was meant to be a catch-all for those who didn't want to jump from group to group.  

Email groups fizzled out over time, and I'd created a Facebook page, and blog with the plan of moving thing over but things were busy and I never really got there.  

I've been talking with some of my friends, who are also Grandmas lately and had been talking about the idea of a Grandma Club - taking the kids out for outtings together, perhaps a movie, or to a zoo or something.  I've gotten quite a following on my personal social media from friends watching for stories about our grandkids - they truly make our world go around.  

I thought it would be fun to share some of our adventures, and some of the ideas we've found along the way. 

You don't have to be a Grandma to join us, or share in the resources.  

You can find the new blog at https://gpfamilyzoo.blogspot.com/

Life is short, eat the cake, enjoy your Grandbabies, and be kind

❤

No comments: