Thursday 9 March 2017

He's Coming Out - Oh to be Happy and Gay

North Dundas Mayor Eric Duncan Announces he is Gay

The announcement was posted to LinkedIn, though the actual post was in the fashion of a guest blog post on bronzeandgoldblog.ca

I have to admit, I'm torn.  When the story first hit my newsfeed my initial reaction was something of an 'attaboy!' for being so brave and bold to put himself out there and call a spade a spade, as it were.  

Sharing an announcement of something so personal must require an awful lot of conviction and confidence as well as at a little bit of resilience to not be concerned about whatever crap festival might return to you.  

There are so many nosy, judgmental people out there that somehow believe they have a right and say in how you live your life..  It is one of my biggest pet peeves, but I digress...

Another part of me however, wondered why this announcement was being so wildly latched onto. It's been ripping up my feeds all day.  So he likes men?  So do millions of other people ~ BIG DEAL.  Would we react the same if he'd announced that he preferred brunettes over redheads? Probably not.  Now, tell me that his boyfriend or husband has an interesting hobby or habit and then perhaps we'll have a story to talk about (Chuckles).

While it might be news to some, being gay certainly isn't new.  Not by a long-shot.  The fact that awareness has grown significantly and people are talking about it more doesn't mean that it's any of your (or my) business.  Though that might just be me. I've always been a firm believer that so long as nobody is getting hurt and you're all consenting adults, what goes on in your bedroom is nobody's business but yours and the other(s) involved.  As it should be. 

I remember joking with a friend long ago after a break-up, when a friend of mine had asked me to hook him up with my ex.  We'd both laughed and laughed.  We just knew that wouldn't go over well.  I remember someone asking me if I was homophobic and being the cheeky gal I am I'd quipped on something to the effect of not being able to fault the guy for liking the same things I did.  It's all about perspective, right?

To be honest, I've never really thought about it in depth. Friends introduce their husband, wife, spouse, girlfriend, pet.. and it's all good.  My friends didn't pick out *my* spouse, and I'm not going to trade him in based on their commentary, so why shouldn't that work in reverse?  It's all about being happy and content in your own bubble, isn't it? 

I guess it shouldn't be such a big surprise, we can't get through a single day without hearing about one celebrity or another who has made up, broken up, or freaked out with some kind of outlandish behavior.  With so many important things going on in the world,  who really cares how many boyfriends "Actress X" has had, or who saw "Singer Y" with what perceived floosy.  Life's too short, change the channel please.

Eric Duncan's announcement doesn't take away from the many accomplishments he has made in his life and career.  To be elected to council at 19, and go on to being Mayor at 22 having defeated the incumbent two-term mayor with a whopping 72% of the vote.  He went on to become the youngest warden in SD&G's 162 year history. 

He was born at Winchester Hospital and has lived in North Dundas his entire life. He'd later purchase his first home in Winchester. 

He currently serves as Mayor for the Township of North Dundas, and served two terms as Warden of the United Counties of SD&G.  His resume shows a dedication that seems rare these days.  He is an active volunteer in his community.

On a personal note Eric was born in 1987, I was a senior in high school.  Here we are 30 years later and I know many folks that I grew up with that haven't achieved a single one of the things we'd set out to do upon leaving high school. 

I may be the odd duck out, but I believe that it is these are stories and accomplishments  that we ought to be talking about.  

I read somewhere this week that this was to be Eric's last year as Mayor.  I don't know what the future holds for him, but you can bet it will be filled with determination and enthusiasm. 

Our world could use a whole lot more of that. 


No comments: